18 March 2009

What I've Learned From Twitter (It Does Suck!)

So I've given Twitter a nice good chance and it really does suck. It's a neat idea but it doesn't work that well in my opinion. It's just like publicly texting people you don't know. It might be better if you were following a lot of people you actually knew in person... but I just don't really care about what people I don't know are doing on a minute by minute basis.

I added Tom Felton and Matt Lewis who play Draco Malfoy and Neville Longbottem (respectively) in the Harry Potter movie series. What I've found out about them through Twitter makes me wish I never joined. Lol. And yes, they really are who they say they are, these are official pages publicly advertised by their managements.

Apparently Tom Felton and his girlfriend are obsessed with dogs and wants another. He asked his "followers" on Twitter to send him pictures of dogs for sale and he'd pick the cuttest. Now, this is very different than what Harry Potter author J.K. Rowling did a couple years ago. She went to the local dog shelter and adopted a dog for nearly £1000 (the normal requested donation to the shelter for taking a dog was only £30). So she donated nearly two thousand dollars to a shelter for homeless dogs. Take a lesson Tom.

Now Matt Lewis is just sad. He calls himself on his profile a "northern layabout" who watches too much TV and sometimes acts. He's not kidding. Below are just a few of his recent posts.

"Diamonds Are Forever is no longer on. Now watching Four Brothers with Mark Wahlberg."

"Somebody asked me about my fav Crane brother but I can't find the question, sorryyy! I'd rather be Frasier but Niles cracks me up, too funny"

"24 is finished. Waiting for Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd to start in HD, oooh... "

"Right 24 time, COME ON JACK!"

"Ok, I'm sat watching Frasier, thought I'd see what you're all up to before 24 - 15 minutes to gooo!!"

"I'm watching King of Queens, something easy to pass the time until 24 tonight!!"

"Just watching Leatherheads with George Clooney, getting mentally prepared for Manchester and Newcastle tonight and tomorrow respectively."


Now, dont' get me wrong. I'm not trying to be judgeful or anything (well, I guess I am a little). But I must say that I'd suprised that rich Matt Lewis does nothing (and I mean nothing) but watch TV and movies. That's cool and all, but I just don't care. I just don't care and that's why twitter sucks.

Bottom Line: Twitter asks, "What are you doing." I interrupt, "I don't wanna know."

6 comments:

Asylum Seeker said...

I've found that some people do the same thing with their blogs: using it almost exclusively to present personal information that few people actually care about. Most people do not care about something unless they can relate it to their own experiences, and this can only happen with anecdotes that are laced with details about subjective psychological states experienced during the event or that have obvious broader implications. A straight account without the emotion or bizarre behavior that others can relate to due to having seen or felt similar things themselves will inevitably fail to interest anyone. Those with similar experiences will be bored, and those without similar experiences will be unable to connect, and no-one will give a damn. And thus, when all you give is a mechanical, one sentence account of mundane activity, you draw no-one's attention. You need raw emotionalism, opinions with broad application, or straight-up human drama for anyone to even bat an eyelash. To get so much as a twitter out of the audience. And Twitter, as it is commonly used, fails to do just that.

The Maze Monster said...

Couldn't have said it better myself...

pboyfloyd said...

Twitter response.

"Right now I'm typing. I'm gonna scroll down a bit and fill in the Username and the Password sections, then, I'm donw!

pboyfloyd said...

How about 'Twittercide'.

I'm just watching the blood congeal on the side of the bathtub..

Can't breathe, rope too tight.. losing consciou..

There's the semi-trailer with my name on it.. see y'all in HELL...

And the pill goes pop, and the whiskey goes swig and THAT's the way it goes..

Michael said...

i find that i am not really into sites like that. Blogger, Youtube, and Myspace keep me busy enough... And I don't even use them that often.

Anonymous said...

Twitter really confuses me, I just don't get the appeal. I guess that means I'm getting old! :) lol