11 November 2008

Isn't This Format Getting Old?


Okay, so after one long rant about a lack of originality here is another. Fox is coming out with yet another show from Seth McFarlane, creator of Family Guy. Now normally, I would have nothing but great things to say about him. He's an open atheist. He's extremely liberal. He's very pro-gay rights. He's funnier than hell. And he created Family Guy (as well as does the voice of Peter, Brian, and Stewie).

Well to begin with, Family Guy is very much a bit of a rip of the Simpson, however Seth managed to take the format and totally make it his own. Grade A there. Then he created American Dad which is to say the least, okay. To be honest, the only time I ever really laughed was when Stan was stoned at a 7/11 and said, "Why is there a leopard on this bag of Cheetos?"

So then I heard that there was going to be yet another show from Seth at Fox; a spin-off of Family Guy called The Cleveland Show. Now, I love Cleveland. He's one of my favorite characters so I had real hope and to be honest I will still probably love the show. But seriously, Seth! Get a new format! Do we really need the following in every show?

1) Silly often stupid father
2) Sexy MILF of a mother
3) Teenage daughter with headband/hat
4) Younger son with identity/weight issues
5) Quirky feminine Infant/Alien
6) Talking pet

I swear, Peter's wife Lois and Cleveland's new wife look like they're body doubles with a different skin tone! Again, I'll probably watch it and love it. But serious, Seth! Seriousy!?




1 comment:

Michael said...

I guess that is the format for many shows... it must be what the "typical" American family is... Even Married with Children had the same format...